Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Vandwelling 101 - The Holiday Blahs

Many full time vandwellers are often far from family and friends during the holidays.

Some like to get tougher with others, some prefer to be alone at this time of year.

Here's what my thoughts and actions are at that time of year.

First of all, I'm not Christian. Although the holidays are very secularised, they are basically Christian religious holidays. Make no mistake. I'm not anti-Christian. Feel free to say Merry Christmas and celebrate your holiday. I'll treat you with just as much respect as i do other religions.

I don't measure my happiness based on how many people send me cards or gifts while ignoring me the rest of the year. It reminds me of those who base their view of themselves based on how many Facebook friends, likes, shares, or reactions to their posts.

I pay attention to my friends online who are feeling down or alone. Often just a few words letting the person know that it's ok to not always be ok helps them get through a tough period. By the way, i do that all year around, not just during Christmas holidays.

I stock up on favorite foods and snacks. I find a place where i can legally park with free WiFi. I treat myself to a mini vacation from people and things. This is my time to myself to rest and recharge, a time of reflection and solitude.

Solitude is much different than loneliness. I'm grateful for all that i have and that the need for excessive things is not part of me. I remember that I'm lucky enough to have the luxury of choice, to not measure my worth based on possessions, but on experience and friends. I'm rich in that.

So rather than be blue about what you don't have this holiday season but be happy focused on how much you do actually have.

Good coffee to you. See you down the road

Lou (and Kira)

Support this blog by donating a dollar or two if you enjoyed reading this blog.
Paypal.me/LouBurgess

No comments:

Post a Comment