Friday, January 13, 2017

Vandwelling 101 - Oh Shit My Van Broke Down


If you travel fulltime, you need to learn to do basic maintenance and simple repairs.
I actually carry enough to do full teardown and rebuild... And it fits in one tote.
I travel on very limited funds. Mechanic shops just aren't in my budget.

Anyone wishing to help with current major repairs click this link. I'll either repay as soon as I can or pay it forward, your choice.

So let's talk about what basics you need to do most repairs.

First you need a manual, either a Chilton or Haynes manual specific to your vehicle. They run about $30 at any auto parts store.

I have a haynes manual for Ford full sized vans. My van is a 99 Ford e150 V8 5.4L engine.
If you don't know which manual, your vin number is on your title. That tells them which vehicle make and model you have.

Tools
The basics. Mine all fit in a tote. 
Tire pump compressor. $10 Family Dollar
2-1/2 bumper jack. Autozone $54
Good lug wrench.
Battery jump cables. Good set. Thicker the wires the better.
Ratchet set with both sae and metric sockets. 
Autozone $10 set is good.
Hammer. 
Set of wrenches. Ace hardware $5
Set of pliers. Ace hardware $5
Serpentine belt tool. Harbor Freight $15
Set of screwdrivers. Ace hardware $5
Universal socket
Nutdriver, automatic screwdriver with set of bits. Walmart $10
While this is not a comprehensive list, with these tools you can fix almost anything

2 comments:

  1. OH! I have that lovely set of wrenches last shown. Bent it pretty well trying to change a wheel. Suggestion: steel 4 sided wheel wench (oops, wrench) and a GOOD jack. Found out the hard way. Thank god a neighbor had the old 4 sided wheel wrench and i found plenty of nearby bricks to place under my jack. I have both the chiltons and haynes. investment well worth it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally forgot a few things. Back to edit

    ReplyDelete