Saturday, January 21, 2017

Vandwelling 101 - Overnight Parking at Wal-Mart's

Many people talk about boondocking at Walmart.
Boondocking is dry camping without any amenities.

We do not boondock at Wal-Mart's. We do sometimes use their parking lot for overnight parking.

Let's get some things straight before we even talk about how to park overnight at a store.
The parking lot is not public property. It is private property that is open to the public use conditionally.
Wal-Mart does NOT have to allow overnight parking and the ones that don't aren't mean or nasty. Overnight Parking is a courtesy some stores extend to their customers. So... get that entitled attitude and dispose of it. Look at it as being a guest on THEIR property

Ok, now that we've looked at some of the important information, let's look at some common sense rules so that you don't ruin it for everyone. Remember, you are a guest on someone else's property. Be courteous, polite, respectful.

1. First of all, check that this Wal-Mart actually allows overnight parking. No, not an app, actually get out of your vehicle and go in to customer service desk and politely ask if you may park overnight. If there are signs saying No Overnight Parking, then there is no overnight parking.
2. When overnight parking is allowed, usually it's in a designated area. Most of the time it will be over by the gardening/automotive sections. You'll be parked as far away from entrance of the store as possible.
3. Arrive late, leave early.  I usually pull into a Wal-Mart after 5-6 pm. In the morning, about daybreak or before 7 am,I get up, make coffee, put it in my travel cup, and pull out.
4. When parking at the Wal-Mart, I back in to a far spot, pull my front and rear curtains, put up my windshield Sun protector. No cooking outside, no chairs outside. My van from the outside doesn't look as if I live in it full-time.
5. I do go inside and shop at the store, even if it's just a Pepsi or a can of soft dog food. Receipt gets scanned into my Wal-Mart savings app and clipped to the visor.
6. Trash goes in a dumpster not on the ground. Grey water doesn't ever get dumped at a Wal-Mart. If I've a pop or remainder of my coffee to dump, I dilute it with water and pour at base of tree or bush.
7. Carry potty bags for your pup...that's just good manners anywhere. So scoop that poop
8. Many Wal-Mart's now have security. Smile, wave politely, or otherwise politely acknowledge them. They notice who's parked there, how long, and how often.
9. Don't play your electronics loudly. They sell headphones in the store.
10. It's not an RV park or a campsite. Don't congregate and socialize. Don't draw attention to you and your rig.
11. Wal-Mart store bathrooms are not a public shower. As a vandwellers, you should know how to wash up in your van. Be neat, clean, don't look like a homeless person.
12. Do not beg, panhandle, ask others for food, gas, change. That's just incredibly rude.
13. Never ever never dump body fluids or leave a pee jug on the ground. Never.
Although I really prefer boondocking in national forest or the desert, I have successfully parked at many Wal-Mart's in the nation successfully. To date, 

I've only been advised to leave one, and that was by others parking who informed me local ordinances prohibit over night parking and it was strictly enforced. I chose to find safer legal parking.
If you act with courtesy and respect, you'll have no problems with overnight boondocking.

If you wish to donate or help out (I need to replace the engine in my van, the cost is $1896) paypal.me/LouBurgess

No comments:

Post a Comment