Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Vandwelling 101 - A Van Is Not A House...Really

Once again I've run across newbies or those who failed in their first attempt at vandwelling and their unrealistic expectations.

A van is not a house. It really isn't. You learn how wasteful you used to be living in a van. Forget unlimited electric power, lots of appliances (that goes for beauty and hair appliances too). Forget unlimited hot water and unlimited running water.

Power costs money. And if you need unlimited power and running water and can't do without them, then I suggest you either stay in a house or get a rv and live in an rv park forever.

I have one deep cell battery in my van. I'll be adding an extra starter battery to my set up simply because I'm scrapping my old van and had just bought new battery for it.

I have two laptops, a smartphone,  a tablet, and various electronics like GPS and Bluetooth speakers. I have no problem keeping things charged. I have two small solar phone chargers. My deep cell is currently being charged by an electric battery charger when I have legal access to electric or by jumper cables off my van when I don't. Eventually I'll add a way to charge it off my starter battery.

I've got a 400 watt inverter, a 600 watt inverter, and a 100 watt inverter. I rarely use any inverter and when I do, it's mainly the 100 watt inverter.

Average deep cell battery is about 80ah  (amp hours). Average smart phone uses 1 amp for about 4 hours to fully charge it.

For those who need blow dryers and such...usually you take a shower in some sort of facility...a truck stop, a gym, or similar. Use your blow dryer in the facility on standard electric.

If you must use these items in your van, look at 12v appliances in a truck stop. Road pro makes a variety of good 12v products.

Get a car charger for your laptops. I actually have two universal laptop car chargers. They work great.

Instead of interior electric lights, I have several battery operated flashlights and lights. I also carry a lantern that operates on lamp oil.

I use an Ozark trails two burner propane stove. No electric needed.

Bottom lines
1. Break the dependence on unlimited electric.
2. If you want to use power in your van then there is no alternative except to learn about power systems and their costs.

I see more newbies try to make their van into a house or a huge rv. And I shake my head at the unrealistic expectations.

See you on the road.
LOU

No comments:

Post a Comment