Thursday, February 23, 2017

Vandwelling 101 - Learning How To Cook Healthy

One of the big things about vandwelling is re-learning old skills (or in the case of some learning for the first time).

Food and diet has lots to do with health. Poor diet has everything to do with bad moods, depression, and sickness.

When planning what I'm going to eat, I try to use several colors and textures.

In order to eat healthy, you'll need some basic tools.
This is my personal list.
-6 quart aluminum pressure cooker
-2 cast iron skillets
-2 quart stainless steel saucepan with lid
-stove top coffee perculator
-stainless steel steamer basket
-set of utensils (metal) at dollar tree (spatula, serving spoon, slotted serving spoon, ladle)
-good paring knife
-good chef's knife (I use my camping knife)

The above list stacks into a compact pile. I can cook almost anything in the van that most people do in a full kitchen.

My groceries include but are not limited to:
Rice, dried beans, barley, split peas.

I love using fresh veggies, and any root veggie does fairly well in the van. Buy local and what's in season.

I also cut veggies up and dry then on a paper plate for later use. After they are dry, I store then in jars or in zip lock bags.

I have several methods of cooking.
-a two burner propane stove
-homemade alcohol stove
-Coleman dual fuel two burner stove
-camp fire
-solar

I use one of the containers that fried chicken came in for solar oven. Works like a charm. Put food in it, put lid on. Put on dash while parked facing into the sun.

One of my favorites is to fry some canned meat and some rice, add various veggies, then scoop a hole out on one side and scramble an egg in it. Spoon into a tortilla, and voila...Food with its own plate

Another of my favorite meals is simply making wraps. Any available meat, cheese, fruits, avocado, and sometimes even cole slaw.

Properly seasoned cast iron skillet wipes clean easily.

I do get a little teasing for the amount of canned and dried foods I carry. They come in handy on those months that repairs or unexpected repairs come up.

See you on the road
LOU

No comments:

Post a Comment