Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Vandwelling 101 - Let's Talk Stealth

Stealth is one of the most discussed topics in van groups. There's almost an obsession with it. In my opinion, it's one of the most misunderstood and misused terms there is.

It's almost impossible to be 100% stealth. Granted there are many places where it's illegal to live or sleep in your vehicle.

First of all- the law enforcement are much better observers than you think. They pretty much know that you're there.

Law enforcement is often selective based on complaints and your own behavior. I've actually had police tip me off to where to sleep so they don't have to officially notice. I've never had a ticket for sleeping in my vehicle. I've been notified twice that I had a couple of hours and that any vehicle remaining after that time with people sleeping in it would be ticketed. I chose to move my vehicle.

These are my own personal guidelines for sleeping in my conversion van when not boondocking in national forest or BLM land.

-keep vehicle legal at all times...up to date registration, title, plates, sticker. 

-don't draw attention to yourself or your van. This includes attire, stickers.

-I keep my license, registration, and insurance card in a plastic bag clipped to driver's side visor. Law enforcement is well within their rights to ask for this documentation. I also inform the officer that I'm reaching up for my documents prior to doing so. Police are not necessarily the enemy...unless you give them reasons to be.

-there are no illegal substances in my van. Any alcohol is stored back by the back doors, not easily accessible to the driver.

-keep dash and front seat area neat and uncluttered. This makes a better impression and deters theft. Expensive electronic devices don't need to be easily visible

-where I sleep isn't where I spend my day. I pull in, put my windshield cover up, go in rear where I have blackout curtains hung up.

-don't park the same place every night...unless you're renting a driveway.

-use headphones or earbuds. That flickering light from your tablet or smartphone draws attention. Blackout drapes

-my dogs food, treats, and water are always clearly visible. I've actually had a do-gooder call animal control on me. I now keep shot records and license up on visor next to my vehicle papers.

-don't dump any liquids, trash, or human waste. This is the number one complaint many have with dwellers.

-don't run in and out of your vehicle... Especially at night

-keep your vehicle and yourself clean

-be respectful of property and property owners. That residential street is not the best place to park.

In many parts of the southwest, vandwelling is not looked down upon. I base in Las Cruces NM where I can be open about my lifestyle.

I empty my potty daily...in a portapotty. Perfect place to safely dispose of human waste.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of how to be a stealth vandweller. This is merely my own experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment