Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Vandwelling 101 - Safety When Parked Alone

Many people make many suggestions on Facebook. Lots of those suggestions are based on over thinking and over reacting.

Bear spray or Wasp spray...if you carry it to protect yourself from humans and use it other than its intended purposes, you could be in really big trouble. You are at risk of being charged with assault with a deadly weapon, intent to do grevious bodily harm. FELONIES.

Much of the rest of the world don't see us as nomadic adventurers. Instead we can be seen as homeless living in our vehicle. Granted, I consider my van a very compact and comfortable tiny RV. However, the rest of society may have a different view. Remember we live in a consumeristic society that thinks more is better, bigger is better.

Let's talk about the things I rely on to keep me and my van safe.

Most of the time simply yelling What The Hell Do You Want deters people. There's also Get The Fuck Away From My Van. Quite a few thefts are crimes of opportunity.

1. Keep my cool, be aware of my surroundings, stay a little alert at all times.

2. At dark, my windows up, doors locked, keys handy, van always ready to start and drive away.

3. If someone approaches van after dark, I don't get out of van. If i roll window down, it's an inch at most.

4. Say someone actually breaks a window...put keys in ignition, start van, drive away.

5. Always remember you have the ability to escape...put keys in and drive away. You're boondocking & have things outside van? Drive away. Things can be replaced. You or your pets can't.

6. You have weapons to defend yourself in your van. Look at your kitchen items. I know I carry a couple of cast iron skillets. I definitely carry kitchen knives & good camping knives. The tool box....tire iron, hammer, screwdriver, big wrenches...these all work. An ink pen or pencil can also be used.

The point I'm trying to make, if you choose not to carry a gun, rifle, stun gun, then just look around your van. There are plenty of items you can use to defend yourself. Your primary weapon is your attitude & determination to not be a victim.

The goal is your safety, your pets safety, and your van intact.

So stay safe and relax a little.
LOU

No comments:

Post a Comment