Thursday, March 30, 2017

Vandwelling 101 - You've Just Moved Into Your Van...What To Expect

You're exited. The day has come, your new life of freedom and adventure awaits you. You're a vandweller now. No more mundane housework, nothing but excitement ahead right?   Ummm No. Not even close to reality.

First of all, no matter how well organized you are, a move is a move. It'll be awhile before you remember automatically without thinking about it where things are.

Second...while in sticks n bricks it isn't critical to immediately always put things back where they are, in a van it is vitally important. That bag of canned goods you put right next to driver's seat...will roll around the floor and scatter.

Those things you put up on the dash...are going to slide as you turn a corner and fall.

oh shit...that crash from the back...what did i leave laying on my bed.

Best one of all...you forgot to secure the pee jug and your carpet now reeks. (easy fix)  Great Value pro-strength carpet cleaner & a roll of paper towels $5.

The biggest pitfall for newbies vandwelling is expectations and boredom. I remember that phase well. I've been in a van awhile. I've yet to have time to be bored.

Today I thought would be a boring relaxing day watching videos and facebooking. What I've actually done:

-moved from night parking spot to daytime spot facing east to take advantage of passive solar heat
-dog pottied, fed, & bundled up in a blanket
-coffee on. burner left on a bit to warm things up.
-morning tidy up, make bed, brush hair, change clothes.
-rearranged van a little to make better use of space, reduces clutter
-took trash to a dumpster
-checked my pm's and notification, answered as needed
-quick empanadas pastry for breakfast

It's noon, I've found enough change while cleaning/organizing that I'm going to treat myself to a green chile hamburger meal from Blake's.

I already know where I'll park tonight so that chore is done.

Those first weeks in a van will be spent getting to know your new home and routine. It's totally normal at first to have the night parking dominate your day.

You'll also find that every single thing you took for granted in your day requires active thought, changing clothes, getting clean, dealing with meals and clean up. This is totally normal.

After a couple of months, life will be much less frustrating. Things will start to come naturally. You'll become much more tolerant of other's lifestyle choices since it really doesn't affect you.

In my opinion, vandwelling is a much better easier way of life. I don't want a sticks n bricks house or apartment. The money I used to spend on rent now goes for gasoline & land payment.

Finally had enough time to sit down and compose a blog.

So, See ya down the road somewhere
Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment