Monday, November 14, 2016

Vandwelling 101-2, I Need A Good Night's Sleep.

The first thing I plan is where is my bed and how big will it be.
I'm 5'4", slender, and I have two small dogs that are absolute bed hogs.
In my first vehicle, it was a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire. There wasn't a lot of choice as far as bed layout and size. I merely laid out my bedding across the back seat and curled around my pups.
I was thrilled when I bought my 1997 Ford e250 extended body cargo van. My bed was very simple, a Coleman cot across the rear doors. It was not the most comfortable bed, but I added substantial padding underneath me & it worked. I was tickled to have a pillow and I could stretch out full length. Luxury!
I tried moving the bed in several different places but I found out that a rear bed from side to side worked for me.
When the Coleman cot bit the dust (losing springs and aluminum leg breaking), I replaced it with half inch plywood that I laid across 4 milk crates.
The milk crate base was great for storage but it was often awkward to access the storage. This type of bed, with 2 inch memory foam from a sewing store is definitely one of the easiest starter beds.
When you upgrade your bed at a later date, all elements of this starter bed can be used for other things. You can use the plywood for custom cabinet or a counter top or a table. The milk crates become stackable storage.
My current van is a 1999 Ford e150 conversion van. The bed is rear seat folds down. Mine is mechanical, rather than electrical. If I ever go back to a cargo van, I'd just use starter bed again until I find a futon of the size and style I want.
In Hawaii, my bed was a foam chair that folded out to the size of a twin mattress on the floor.
I guess what I'm saying more than anything is that you don't have to have everything perfect right from the start. I've always needed time and experience to figure out what suited me best. By being comfortable, but utilising simple solutions, it allowed me to enjoy myself more and to reduce my stress from the beginning.
It takes time and experience before you know exactly how you want your van.
For me, simple works better, and I always have to watch my budget.
See you down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment